Natalia Molchanova

Freediving is probably one of the most fascinating and thrilling of all types of deep sea diving. Imagine holding your breath underwater at great depths without the help of any scuba apparatus. It’s just you versus the elements. I’ll be the first to say that  I can’t do that. Not now and probably not ever. I’m happy with my scuba gear, thank you.

But there are fearless souls out there that continuously challenge their limits. Natalia Molchanova is one of them. I read recently about her disappearance and the first thing that came to my mind is that she went back to the place she loved the most but at the same time, I also silently prayed that she would found, for the sake of her family and for those that love her. If she is never found, then the world has lost one great and beloved individual and the “queen” of freediving.

Natalia holds 41 world records in freediving, she is 53 years old and has no plans in stopping doing what she loves the most – freediving. On the day she disappeared, she was diving without fins 35 meters into the Mediterranean Sea. It is believed that may have encountered a strong, underwater current. Both the Local Coast Guard and Guardia Civil worked until nighttime and scoured the entire area and searched in depths of 80 meters but to no avail. Natalia’s son and also a champion freediver, Alexey Molchanov sadly believes that her mother is dead. Indeed, the entire freediving community has accepted that Natalia was unlikely to have survived. Miracles do happen every day, I might add; and who knows, she may still be alive.

In any case, her disappearance has prompted me to write about freediving. Again, it’s not something that I would likely attempt to do however it’s something I’ve always been interested about. I’m happy with just scuba diving in Cebu, I might add, Cebu being my most favorite place in the world and diving in Cebu is my most favorite thing to do however there’s just something about freediving that tickles my fancy.  And when I think about it, maybe it’s in my roots? As a Filipino, maybe it’s in our blood? LOL If that’s the case then maybe it’s in a very, very, very small percentage of my blood. What I’m talking about are our natural, home-grown freedivers – the Badjaos, water nomads who are known to hold their breaths for as long as five minutes. They are simply unbelievable. Their extraordinary upbringing which includes survival and dependency in the water has given them amazing freediving skills.

That being said, freediving is not a sport to be dealt with lightly, even one of the best in the entire world has possibly disappeared.

For more information on what I wrote in this blog, check out these links:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/aug/04/free-diver-natalia-molchanova-feared-dead

http://www.filipiknow.net/bajau-diver-on-bbc-documentary/


Image Credits:
it.anygator.com
en.wikipedia.org