It was my brother that fell in love with scuba diving first. It was not surprising to our family. He was always the one who wanted to try everything at least once – including various women. Kidding, bro, if you’re reading. However, it was really no surprise when one day, he arrived home from a 3 day trip at a resort in Moalboal, looking exhausted and little sun-burnt but happy, blathering on to my mother about how he experienced the best diving in Cebu, EVER! I had just come home from work and was not in the mood for people who had just come home from vacations, even if it was just for three days. So I pretty much ignored him. 

A few weeks later, he started bringing home some really weird things. “What’s this?” I asked, pointing to a weird-looking vest sitting on the kitchen table. It looked like a life jacket but for a pool in another planet, maybe. “Oh that,” he grinned, getting ready to give me another lecture on his new found hobby, “That’s a BCD. It’s – “, I raised my palm up, interrupting him, I found no need to be trapped in another conversation that I had no clue about, “That’s fine. BCD is fine. Now let me fix myself a sandwich,” and then left him. 

Pretty soon, he was actually saving up for equipment and dive trips and bringing home odd-looking friends who look like they hadn't showered for days. A few of them were cute but too shaggy for my taste, to be honest.  Too much beard action going on, boys. Ya’ll need a shave. However, in the company of this tanned, hairy lot, my brother looked happier and more relaxed than he ever was. For his birthday, he asked my dad for a waterproof digital camera so he could take pictures of sea creatures. A GoPro? At that time, I had seen some pretty awesome YouTube clips about what that gadget can do but I simply did not care. 

But, in case you’re wondering, of course, I know about scuba diving, I don’t live under a log. I’ve seen pictures online, seen it on TV and one time, I saw a very unpleasant documentary of a thousand things that could go wrong when scuba diving. It just wasn't for me. I was happy with my work, friends and Starbucks.

Then we visited Alcoy. One of our relatives was hosting a big birthday party, she was 85 and my mother wanted to visit her, her only grand-aunt alive. I wasn't very thrilled at going to an old lady’s party but I remember her fondly and the whole family was just excited to be going somewhere for the weekend. It was a long weekend and I had no plans. So off we went.

The Saturday after the big party, my brother wanted to check out a resort he had heard about called the Mangrove Eco Resort & Restaurant which was only a few minutes away, in the sleepy town of Dalaguete. 

And right there, one fine Saturday morning, my love affair with scuba diving began.

Little did we know that we would stumble upon a dive center called Dive Spot Asia, owned and managed by Gerhard Gehlen, from Germany and who has had 10 years of experience working in the Philippines. He was a great guy and his staff was just excellent.

Anyway, my brother was talking animatedly to Gerhard and one of his staff, when he turned around and asked me if I wanted to learn how to dive so I could come with them tomorrow for a morning dive trip. I wanted to say no but something just made me smile and say, “Sure, why not?” And the rest, as they say, is history. 

I signed up for their SSI Try Scuba Diving Course and on the spot, I was in the hands of his very capable team, learning the basics of diving, with one session at the pool, then they took me out into the water for an actual dive, which was very scary at first then they took me back to the Dive Center for an “academic” session where the basic safety procedures of scuba diving were discussed.

Dive Spot Asia had excellent facilities, world class equipment and just an all-around great place to start experiencing scuba diving. Needless to say, the money I’d been keeping in my wallet to buy some new office outfits went down the drain but it really didn’t matter. I had enough clothes and have yet to experience diving.

The following day, a lovely Sunday, we were back at Dive Spot Asia bright and early. We were told that we were headed to Balicasag Island, one of the destinations for Dive Spot Asia’s day trips. There were 10 of us on the boat and the energy was high! I was excited and nervous at the same time. The water was clear, the sky – even clearer and it was just the perfect day for a dive, so my brother said. Needless to say, he was my first buddy. All the gear I had on was rented and the wetsuit didn't fit very well but I was too stoked to feel any discomfort.

After the divemaster went through our dive plan and gave us a brief orientation on safety procedures, my brother and I began our glorious ascent to see the magic of what lies underneath Balicasag. At first, I really couldn't notice anything around me. My mind was busy racing over safety procedures and I was making sure I was breathing correctly. My Dive Spot Asia divemaster was just a few meters away and gave me two thumbs up. I looked at my grinning brother and he mouthed, “Relax,” in between bubbles. Then I slowly let myself go. I took in the surreal beauty around me and began noticing the diverse marine life that call Balicasag Island their home. That first dive was unforgettable. Scary, yes, but unforgettable.

The next few months that followed, my brother and I made our regular trips to Dive Spot Asia, going on dive trips, learning from the seasoned staff and I signed up for an Open Water Diver Course. Dive Spot Asia goes on really awesome dive trips to islands such as Cabilao, Balicasag, Caceres Reef and Sumilon, and each island offers a unique experience. One of the best things they offer is a Boat Safari that goes all the way to the mystical island of Siquijor, also known for their amazing dive spots. Their other multi-day trips include Pamilacan and Cevera Shoal.

I’ve seen Gerhard and his staff teach young kids and even those that have never dived in their entire life! I’ve learned so much from them and I hope to learn more in the coming years. Dive Spot Asia truly offers the best scuba diving in Cebu. Check out their website at divespot-asia.com.